“We believe the strength of our community stems from its diversity and only together can we address issues and create opportunities so every person can achieve their full potential. For several years, we have invested in communities of great need to address systemic issues based in poverty that affect health, education, and access to an equitable community. Though we have made considerable progress, our work is far from over – it is beginning anew.”
- Nelle Miller, Board Member, and Roxie Jerde, President & CEO
Equity and Access Grants ($5,000 - $30,000) support projects that promote equity and access to services amongst populations who face systemic barriers in our community. These grants are an opportunity for the Community Foundation to partner with organizations who are focusing on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Access in local, direct service work.
Funding priorities are designed to create alignment with our available funding streams but they are not exclusionary.
Priority is given to health and human services projects as well as those that promote equity to populations who face systemic barriers in our community, for example:
- Geographically underserved neighborhoods
- Communities of color
- Immigrants, refugees, or English language learners
- Persons with disabilities
- LGBTQ+ communities
- Single mothers
- And other under-represented populations
In past years, we have offered a health care grant opportunity that focused on access to health care services for underserved populations. This year, those funds will be granted out through the Equity and Access Grant cycles.
Organizations may receive up to $30,000 through the Equity and Access Grant program within a 365 day period.
In order to receive a grant through this program, organizations must also have:
- An IRS Letter of Determination that shows the organization is a 501(c)3 public charity.
- At least one current program with local impact in one of the following counties: Sarasota, Manatee, Charlotte, or DeSoto.
- An approved/current profile in The Giving Partner, a powerful, searchable online database with over 700 profiles of charitable organizations serving Sarasota, Manatee, Charlotte, and DeSoto counties.
This grant opportunity is available in two cycles:
- Cycle 1: Application opens July 20, 2021 and closes September 3, 2021. Organizations will be notified of their application status by October 15, 2021. This application has been closed.
- Cycle 2: Application opens December 7, 2021 and closes January 28, 2022. Organizations will be notified of their application status by March 4, 2022.
- Press Release
- Podcasts / Audio Recordings
October 21, 2021
Community Foundation of Sarasota County Awards 12 Grants Promoting Equity for Healthcare, Education, and Human Services
October 6, 2021
Ringling College Awarded Grants to Support Community, Diversity and Inclusion
August 6, 2021
Tidewell Foundation Receives $30,000 Grant From Community Foundation of Sarasota County
July 28, 2021
Loveland Center announces new theater program
July 16, 2021
Manatee Literacy Council Awarded Equity and Access Grant
June 18, 2021
Foundation for Dreams awarded $19,500 grant for scholarships
June 10, 2021
The Florida Center Receives Grant to help At-Risk Families
June 2, 2021
New College Foundation | Support for After-Hours Mental Health Care
May 12, 2021
SPARCC Awarded $30,000 Equity and Access Grant for Emergency Shelter
May 10, 2021
Community Foundation of Sarasota County Awards more than $320,000 in Grants to Equitably Expand Access to Education and Health Care
Press Kit for Grantees
View Past Information Sessions
Register for an Upcoming Information Session
Equity and Access Grants Information Session - January 2022
Equity and Access Grant Information Sessions