Given the oncome of the global coronavirus pandemic and the accompanying uncertainties, we knew the 2020 Giving Challenge was going to be unique. In 2018, we established the Shapiro Memorial Fund upon the passing of Lifetime Board Member Sam Shapiro, to provide each of our tenant partners up to $1,000 in a given year, for any mission-related expense they choose. Little did we know, the timing was right for our commitment to dedicate all funds raised during the Giving Challenge to the direct support of our tenant partner agencies on the campus.
We have seen these dollars go to specific needs like school supplies for clients, but also to needs that are harder to fund with restricted grants and donations: technology fees, marketing assets, professional development.
Since the Giving Challenge in 2020, here is what agencies have applied for:
- 5/12/2020 – Counseling services.
- 5/13/2020 – Rewards and incentives for clients engaged in programs.
- 5/14/2020 – Social media marketing expenses.
- 5/26/2020 – Purchase of two new hemoglobin analyzers.
- 6/1/2020 – Operating expenses.
- 6/9/2020 – Purchase a laptop and gas cards for clients.
- 6/11/2020 – Website improvements, printed marketing materials, and social media expenses.
- 6/12/2020 – Purchase of a tablet for a specialized program.
- 6/15/2020 – Purchase of an HD LED Projector, Bluetooth speaker, and an external DVD drive.
- 6/15/2020 – Stand-up desks, safety kits, PPE, and cleaning supplies.
- 9/15/2020 - Operating expenses.
- 2/12/2021 - IT and website expenses.
- 2/25/2021 - Purchase of two new laptops and two webcams for existing workstations in a specialized program.
- 3/24/2021 - Communication activities like website updates and social media, with an emphasis on video-messaging.
- 4/14/2021 - Office supplies, postage, and printing.
- 4/21/2021 - Professional development for staff.
- 4/30/2021 - Signage for Women and Children's Center.
- 5/11/2021 - Marketing and communication videos.
- 5/14/2021 - Additional hours of counseling services.
- 5/28/2021 - Two large storage cabinets and traveling crates for educational materials. A stock photo subscription to help address diversity and inclusivity on a new website build.
- 6/3/2021 - Purchase of a text-based communication subscription, Adobe Acrobat Pro subscription, canopy tent for outreach events, custom logo materials.
We are proud, emphatic cheerleaders of the agencies on our campus. The 2020 Giving Challenge provided a way to efficiently address needs that arose in the regular course of running their nonprofits. We believe that each of their missions - from education, to healthcare, to housing - are relevant and vital in the collective impact of supporting our community. We couldn't be more grateful for the opportunity to help sustain them.
During a year of pandemic, the human services network is being called upon to activate and respond more quickly than before. Providing an easily accessible resource for needs as specific as gas cards, or as broad as operating expenses, is integral to OUR mission to connect, support and sustain our human service network for a stronger community.
For more information about The Glasser/Schoenbaum Human Services Center, visit