We believe that students succeed when families succeed
As the lead agency for Sarasota County’s participation in the national Campaign for Grade-Level Reading, the Community Foundation of Sarasota County works with many donors and partners to help improve early literacy through this two-generation approach. This means we work with schoolchildren and their parents simultaneously so that families have a broad range of supports to reach their full potential.
In 2012, a pilot program was developed with a passionate donor and trailblazing elementary school principal. Six years later, with great support from additional donors and the Community Foundation of Sarasota County, along with Sarasota County Schools, the Summer Learning Academies model expanded to all Title I elementary schools in the district.
How Summer Learning Academies Work
Summer Learning Academies prepare new students to enter the classroom
and prevent summer learning loss for returning students. Family involvement
connects parents and guardian with school administrators and teachers,
creating a connected community.
- Six-week, free programs for students entering kindergarten through
third grade in all Sarasota County Title I elementary schools
- Morning academic lessons, afternoon enrichment programs tied to curriculum
- Weekly “Parent University” classes focus on family wellness, parent career development and more
Read the results from the Summer Learning Academies’ 2019 Parents Survey.
- 2012 – 2018 Enrollment in Summer Learning Academies increased from 62 students to more than 1,100
- In 2018, more than 1,400 parents and guardians enrolled in Parent University
- In 2019, all 12 Title I elementary schools in Sarasota County offered Summer Learning Academies